The stereotype that Autists have difficulty with collaboration is the result of a fundamentally different perspective on the purpose of social interaction.
The Autistic understanding of “social”
- Naive assumption: “social” refers to interaction to learn from each other
- Naive assumption: “social” refers to collaborating with others towards a shared goal
- An Autistic individual may take decades to decode the typical meaning of “social”
The prevalent neuronormative understanding of “social”
- Unspoken assumption: “social” refers to negotiating social status and power gradients
- Unspoken assumption: “social” refers to competing against each other using culturally defined rules
- A typical individual may take decades to appreciate non-social interests
Aut Collab has been set up as a platform for Autistic collaboration and as a platform for sharing the results of Autistic collaboration.